The purpose of this blog post (the second in my Synology series) is to provide the guidance and the steps needed to go through the initial setup process for the Synology DS920+. Once the hardware has been installed in the NAS, please follow the steps below to proceed:
- Before turning the unit on, it is recommended that you read through through the Hardware Installation and User’s Guide.
- Additional documentation can be obtained at the DS920+ Download Center.
- Once you’re reviewed the above, power on the DS920+.
- Using your preferred web browser, navigate to http://synologynas:5000/ or https://find.synology.com/ (keep in mind, the NAS must be connected to the same network as your workstation).
- Once the connection to the NAS has been established, your browser should display the Synology Web Assistant (see below for an example). Click Setup to proceed.
- If prompted to do so, please select Install Now (see image below) to proceed with the installation of the latest DSM (DiskStation Manager).
- Select OK to proceed with the next step.
- The installation of the DiskStation Manager (DSM) application begins and it’s important NOT to interrupt this process at any time. At the conclusion of the installation, the DS920+ will restart.
- After the restart, you will be prompted to set up an Administrator account. It’s very important you create a username that will you remember and it’s more important to assign it a proper password with the required password criteria. A server name is also required.
- At the Setup Quick Connect screen, please setup a new Quick Connect account with Synology or login with an existing Synology account. If you’re not interested in doing either, select Skip This Step and then Yes to proceed. You have now successfully completed the setup process for your Synology DS920+. Select Go to proceed to the Synology Desktop interface.
- Below is the Synology Desktop interface.
If you’re interested in learning more about the DS920+, I would highly recommend contacting Synology using the Media Inquiry form.