The purpose of this blog post is to provide the guidance and the steps needed to configure the Runecast Analyzer on vSphere 7. The Runecast OVA can be found and downloaded from the Runecast site.
This VM will be configured on a physical server (Dell PowerEdge R720) which includes the following hardware:
- 384GB RAM
- 2 x e5-2620 v2
- Dual SD module w\ 16GB SD cards
- H710 mini perc
- 16 x 2.5 bay system that includes 1TB hard drive in each bay
- Idrac express
- 4 x 1GB on-board NIC
- 2 x 10GB daughter NIC
Once the Runecast OVA was downloaded to my local machine, I created a Runecast folder on my datastore (DS1) and uploaded the ISO to it (see image below):
Once the above is complete, the following steps will be used to create the Runecast Analyzer VM:
- Launch vCenter and begin the process to create a Deploy OVF Template using the wizard.
- Select Local File option, then select Upload Files and browse to the local of the OVAthen select Next.
- Provide a name for the new VM. In this example, I called it Runecast Analyzer. Select Next to proceed.
- Select Next once the Compatibility checks have succeeded.
- Review the details on the following page and then select Next.
- Select Next to accept the License Agreements.
- Select the appropriate Configuration (Small, Medium, or Large) for your environment and then select Next.
- Select the appropriate Disk Format at the Storage window and then select Next.
- Select the appropriate Network at the Networks window and then select Next.
- Review the Template settings and then select Next.
- Select the Finish to complete the setup.
- Power ON the VM and the boot process begins.
- Using a web browser, navigate to the IP address assigned to this VM. This will redirect you to the VM management, where you can change your TCP/IP settings, NTP, and Update. Select F1 to access this interface. The username is rcadmin and the password is admin. This can be changed after you login in.
- The default username is rcuser and its password is Runecast! You can change them after logging in.
- Select Continue to proceed.
- For the purpose of this guide, I selected Connect to vCenter and then Continue.
- Enter your vCenter FQDN or IP with your vCenter username and password.
- Select the appropriate Security Profile(s). For this purpose of this guide, I selected VMware Guidelines. Click Continue to proceed.
- The default settings at the Automatic Scheduler window met my requirements so I selected to Continue to proceed.
- Select Analyze Now to complete the setup.
- The Runecast Analyzer begins to scan my vSphere environment for any issues.
- The Runecast Analyzer has not detected any issues with my home lab environment. #winning
This concludes this blog post. In future Runecast blog posts, I will document the process to remediate the issues that are discovered by the Runecast Analyzer in future scans.
If I have missed anything or if you have any suggestions, please let me know.