Like a snap of a finger, 2018 has come and gone but before we move forward we should take a moment to look back. Below you will find the professional goals I set for myself going into 2018 from my 2017 Year In Review blog post:
- Pass the VCP6.5-DCV exam (Complete in February)
- Pass the Nutanix NPP 5.0 exam (Complete in September) – was not on my original list of goals but decided to pursue the certification after getting to meet Angelo Luciani, Adil Elhajiz and many others at .NEXT in New Orleans. They provided the motivation, support and inspiration to take on this new challenge
- Applied (October 2018) to become a Nutanix NTC and was accepted to the program when the announcements were made on December 18, 2018
- Pass the VCP6-NV exam (Complete in October)
- Pass the AWS Solutions Architect – Associate 2018 exam (On Hold) 😦
- Coordinate and plan additional DC VMUG meetings (with the assistance of my fellow leaders (Mary Frances Mondo, Mammo Tesfaye and Nico Stein), we were able to host 4 events this calendar year. Thanks to our DC VMUG and MyVMUG members, our sponsors which included Commvault, Cohesity, Presidio and Datrium. Brad Tompkins, the staff at MyVMUG and the Reston VMware office all deserve a huge thank you for their support as well
- Applied (December 2017) to become a VMware vExpert and hoped to be accepted when the announcements are made on February 18, 2018 (Accepted in March)
- Contribute to the vBrownBag Community in the form of a Tech Talk (On Hold) 😦
- Contribute to the Level Up Project lead by Yadin Porter de Leon (@porterdeleon) (Contributed towards the 2018 VMware User vTrail Map). This was sponsored by Zerto with assistance from Nick Scuola
- Thank you Stephen Foskett and the good people at Tech Field Day for believing in me which includes allowing me to participate in multiple events which includes TFD at VMworld, Commvault GO and NFD19. For those interested in learning more about how to become a TFD Delegate, please click here
What’s in store for 2019?
- Pass the VCAP6-DCV exam
- Pass the AWS Solutions Architect – Associate exam
- Learn more about the various products provided by VMware, Nutanix, AWS and Veeam (and anything else that comes my way)
- Apply for the Veeam Vanguard program (thanks to Melissa Palmer for her continued support)
- Pursue a Veeam certification
- Pursue a Nutanix certification
- Continue to give back to the various communities (DC VMUG, Veeam, VMware and Nutanix)
As we come to a close, I wish you all nothing but the best health and success in 2019. Keep doing what you do best which is lending a hand or taking the time to listen to others. I assure you it’s helped me along my journey and it continues to provide the motivation I need to excel personally and professionally but also reminds me to do the same for others. In the end, #KindnessMatters.
None of this would be possible without the support of my family, friends and the vCommunity. Take it from me, challenge yourself. Attend events, ask questions, meet friends and build relationships you never imagined. You’ll be thankful you did!
Each of you has given me hope and that’s all anyone could ever ask for!
“For fate has a way of charting its own course, but before one surrenders to the hands of destiny, one might consider the power of the human spirit and the force that lies in one’s own free will” Lost/The Final Chapter 2010.
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to ask via Twitter.